“An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.”
– Benjamin Franklin
Before you leave home for vacation, don’t forget to:
- Have timers on lights/lamps – indoor and outdoor.
- Cancel newspapers.
- Empty out the frig and toss the garbage.
- Have your mail held or picked up regularly.
- Be sure that plant and pet care is confirmed.
- Have a neighbor/friend check on your home regularly (water heaters burst, alarm systems go off…)
- Leave a set of keys – house and car with trusted friend or family member.
- Unplug anything electrical.
- Notify your bank and credit card companies.
- If traveling abroad, get some local currency to have on hand when you arrive.
- Send a copy of your itinerary and contact information to a trusted family member or friend, your sitters, and to yourself.
- Send a copy of all of your pertinent personal info including passport, credit card info, etc. to yourself and a trusted family member or friend.
- Staying in touch: Know your internet and cell/smart phone data plans, especially if you’re going overseas. Talk to your provider about roaming charges, plans, etc. to avoid being surprised by a whopping big bill when you get home.
Send Me a Postcard! Just click on the “stamp” or comment below.
How do you get ready to leave on a trip? Share your thoughts and what works for you!